Daylilies Are Our Passion!
Whether your daylily growing season is just starting, at peak bloom or has ended, you can connect with others globally year round. Make new friends, ask questions, and share your experiences in a community that has a common passion. We specialize in teaching others how to plant, grow and hybridize daylilies, the plant genus Hemerocallis. Our membership is open to anyone and everyone that loves daylilies.
I have another update, but to start, here is my best answer for your question, Thomas.
There are a number of things that contribute to when a plant will produce a scape/flower (e.g. light, temperature, etc.), but I don’t know specifically what conditions contribute more to flowering in daylilies. If there is one specific factor (like light) there will still be some variation among the different cultivars – seen from the different bloom seasons. What I can say from experience is that the size of the plant/the amount of foliage doesn’t necessarily make a difference in whether a daylily will flower. I know some people who will strip newly imported plants of all their foliage, and cut them down to a nub to try to eliminate rust, and after some time in a greenhouse under lights, they will produce scapes despite the small size of the plant. I don’t know for sure, but I would imagine, along with the environmental factors, the amount of stored energy in the root system could play a role in whether a plant will produce a scape.
Now to give another update on the conversions I’m going to start by referencing an image that can be seen in my last post (post #19867 on page 5). It’s IMG_2391 (second to last photo), which shows what they looked like on April 5th.
Here is what they looked like on April 12th…
[File Attachment: IMG_2442.jpg]
Now going back to my last post again, I talked about not knowing whether I should try to stimulate root growth, or wait for them to do it on their own. Well, on April 14th I decided to try stimulating root growth by applying a small amount of rooting hormone to the base of the foliage (the “new crown”), and covering it with some fresh potting soil. Here is what they looked like…
[File Attachment: IMG_2456.jpg]
On April 21st I noticed a new shoot starting to emerge between some of the fans. I had actually cut off a new shoot growing from the same place back on April 2nd, but it was so deep and in such an awkward place I think I must have missed some of it, and it started to regrow. You can see it growing just inside the fan on the far right…
[File Attachment: IMG_2483.jpg]
On April 22nd I decided to pull back some of the new potting soil to cut off the new shoot as well as to check to see if there were any roots developing. Only one fan had started to get root (the same fan that I removed the thick scape from). I still have hope for the others, so I added a little more hormone to those and covered them back up (after I did my best to remove the new shoot). Here is an image of one of the new roots…
[File Attachment: IMG_2481.jpg]
I also wanted to show one of my other conversions. This is one that I haven’t shown any of the progress on, but it can be seen in my first post (post #19799 page 1). It is one of the two that was separated by a scape I had removed. This one showed similar development to the other conversions, but it started to develop a root on its own. The first picture I’m going to show is from April 7th, and the second picture is from today (April 22nd).
[File Attachment: IMG_2413.jpg]
[File Attachment: IMG_2489.jpg]
My last picture for this update is of the same conversions that can be seen in the last photo of my last update (IMG_2402, post #19867, page 5). I just wanted to show its progress, so here it is on April 13th…
[File Attachment: IMG_2444.jpg]
Read More...17 hours 28 minutes ago
Richard Eustace updated their profile picture.
SHEILA updated their profile picture.2 days ago
Daniel Kline updated their profile picture.2 days ago